Are you planning a trip to Kovalam Beach but wondering what else there is to see in Thiruvananthapuram? Look no further! As an insider, I’ve got the scoop on all the best places to explore and experience in this vibrant city. From picturesque temples and museums to bustling markets and delicious street food, you won’t want to miss out on these hidden gems. So pack your bags and get ready for an adventure – let’s dive into my insider’s guide to exploring Thiruvananthapuram from Kovalam Beach!
1. Introduction: An Overview of Kovalam Beach.
Kovalam Beach is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. Often referred to as the “Paradise of the South,” Kovalam offers a beautiful sandy beach, clear blue waters, and stunning views of the Arabian Sea. With its convenient location just a short drive from Thiruvananthapuram city, Kovalam is a great place to relax and enjoy the natural beauty of Kerala.
Nestled on India’s picturesque coastline, Kovalam Beach offers a mesmerizing combination of stunning landscapes and rich cultural attractions. Dive into the history behind its captivating sites – from ancient temples to colonial fortifications! The Lighthouse Beach, for example, is named for the 35 meter tall light house that was built here in 1972. Perched atop a rocky coastline, the timeless lighthouse stands tall and proud.
From its vantage point offers breathtaking views of miles upon miles of rolling hills, sparkling blue seas and golden sands below – no wonder it’s an immensely popular spot for capturing that perfect shot! Other notable sights in Kovalam include Hawah Beach, which is known for its serene atmosphere and stunning sunsets, and Ashoka Rock, a large rock carving dating back to the 3rd century BCE. Whether you’re looking to relax on the beach or explore some of Thiruvananthapuram’s most interesting sights, Kovalam Beach is sure to offer something for everyone.
2. Top Things to Do at Kovalam Beach.
Kovalam is renowned for its serene beaches, and there are plenty of things to do there if you’re looking to relax and soak up the sun. From swimming in the shimmering turquoise waters to tasting local cuisine at vibrant beach shacks – there’s something here to please everyone. Or take a stroll along picturesque paths with captivating views that will stay etched in your memory forever. So come explore this paradise on Earth and create unforgettable experiences!
Go for swimming –. The crystal clear turquoise blue water is surrounded by a back drop of lush green palm trees, making the atmosphere peaceful and tranquil. Known as one of the best beaches in India, Kovalam’s crescent beaches offer an array of activities such as kite surfing, water sports, sunbathing and snorkeling.
Relax on the beach – Relaxing on Kovalam Beach is one of the best ways to spend your holiday. With golden sand and crystal-clear water, the beach offers stunning views that will take your breath away. It’s the perfect place to forget about the hustle and bustle of everyday life and just relax in the sun.
Kovalam Beach is a perfect destination for anyone seeking to refresh, recharge and escape the stresses of everyday life. With golden sand, crystal-clear water and stunning views, Kovalam offers a tranquil oasis away from the hustle and bustle of modern life. The warm tropical sun will help you to ease your tension and get your body and soul in perfect balance.
Try out some water sports – From aspiring learners to seasoned pros, there is something for everyone in this captivating experience. Surfing and windsurfing are popular activities in Kovalam, with the waves ranging from gentle to strong depending on the season.
Kovalam is the perfect place for adventure seekers, boasting kite boarding, kayaking and snorkeling! Or take a leisurely drive to Thiruvananthapuram–the cultural capital of Kerala. Explore its myriad museums and art galleries or browse through bustling markets featuring traditional handicrafts as well as produce from local farmers.
Visit the lighthouse – The Kovalam Beach Lighthouse is a spectacular sight to behold. Atop the Kovalam Beach Lighthouse, an almost mystical beacon of light that has graced this part of India’s coast since 1972, visitors can take in a truly wondrous sight. With its breathtaking views over the Arabian Sea and electric lamp providing guidance to fishing vessels and merchant ships as they sail along these tranquil waters, what better place could one find for enjoying nature’s splendor? Truly inspiring!
As the kerosene lamp was replaced by an electric one in 1976, the lighthouse provides a beacon of light to guide fishing vessels and merchant ships navigating the coastline.
Explore Thiruvananthapuram – Thiruvananthapuram is more commonly known, is a city full of history and culture. Located just 16 km from Kovalam beach, it has plenty to offer visitors looking to explore its unique attractions. The Napier Museum and Sri Chitra Art Gallery are two must-see spots when visiting Thiruvananthapuram.
Dive into the cultural heritage of South India when you visit the Padmanabhaswamy Temple–a revered pilgrimage site and one of the city’s most iconic landmarks. Shop at SMSM Institute for exclusive handicrafts like gorgeous shawls and kurtas, then treat your taste buds to tantalizing South Indian dishes served up in a multitude of restaurants around town! Whether you plan to stay in Kovalam or visit the nearby city, there is something for everyone at this stunning beach destination.
3. Shopping in Thiruvananthapuram. There are plenty of shopping opportunities in Thiruvananthapuram, especially if you’re looking for traditional Kerala items. The city’s main shopping area is MG Road, which is lined with shops and stalls selling everything from clothes to spices. For a unique piece of the Kerala culture to take home, peruse the many shops featuring locally-crafted wooden carvings and colorful handmade tiles. Pick up something truly special that will remind you vividly of your adventure in India!
If you’re on a budget, there are also plenty of good deals to be found at the city’s many street markets. The most popular market is Attakulangara Market, where you can find fresh produce, spices, and other household items at very reasonable prices.
4. Restaurants and Cafes Near Kovalam Beach.
There are plenty of great restaurants and cafes near Kovalam Beach, so you won’t have to go far to find a good meal. Here are some of our favorites:
• The Spice Coast: This restaurant is a popular local seafood restaurant located just a short walk away from Kovalam Beach. Offering the freshest and most succulent catches of the day, this restaurant has become a favorite among locals and tourists alike. Their menu offers an abundance of options including karimeen pollichathu (pearl spot fish steamed in a banana leaf), konju fry (crab fry), kappa (tapioca) with fish curry and much more. The atmosphere is quite laid-back and the restaurant’s friendly staff will make sure you have an enjoyable experience.
• Malabar House: It is a popular restaurant near Kovalam beach that serves traditional Kerala cuisine. Located in a beautiful yellow and saffron colored building, it offers an impressive dining experience for visitors to the area. The menu includes a variety of dishes from the region, such as kadala curry, koottukari, and kalathappam. Our tasty treats are crafted with a delicate blend of spices, like cardamom, cloves and cinnamon sourced from local farmers. Delight in the rich flavors that make our dishes truly unique! The restaurant also has a selection of seafood dishes like meen kulambu (fish curry) and karimeen pollichathu (fried fish).
• Café del Mar: It is a popular beachside café located near the Kovalam beach, offering stunning views of the Arabian Sea. This café is the perfect spot for those looking for some relaxation and respite from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Here, guests can enjoy a freshly brewed cup of coffee or savour light meals and snacks.
• La Casa de Tapas: This is an authentic Spanish restaurant set in the heart of Thiruvananthapuram and just a stone’s throw away from Kovalam Beach. Located in an old colonial building, this eatery offers guests an unforgettable experience with its historic ambience, classic European decor and traditional Spanish cuisine. Sample some of their specialties such as Paella, Pesto Croquettes, Gazpacho and Crema Catalana.
5. Exploring Historical Sites and Ancient Temples.
When most people think of Kerala, they think of the beautiful beaches and lush jungle landscapes. Kerala is also home to a wealth of historical sites and ancient temples, making it the perfect place to get a taste of India’s rich culture and history. One of the best places to start exploring Kerala’s history is in its capital city, Thiruvananthapuram.
This city is home to a number of important historical events and sites, including Attukal Pongala, Padmanabhaswamy Temple, which is one of the most sacred Hindu temples in all of India. Other notable sites include the Napier Museum, which houses a collection of artifacts from Kerala’s rich past, and the Sri Chitra Art Gallery, which features paintings and sculptures from some of Kerala’s most famous artists.
But Thiruvananthapuram is not the only place in Kerala worth exploring. The city of Kochi (formerly known as Cochin) is another great destination for those interested in learning about Kerala’s history and culture. Kochi was once an important trading hub for spices and other goods, and today it is home to a number of well-preserved colonial-era buildings. The Fort Kochi area is particularly worth checking out, as it houses a number of Dutch and Portuguese-style buildings that offer a glimpse into Kochi’s colonial past.
6. Visiting the Wildlife Sanctuaries in the Region.
Trivandrum, the captivating city at India’s southernmost tip, is surrounded by an array of breathtaking natural beauty. On its eastern side lies Tamil Nadu and Karnataka to the north; a perfect illustration of cultural melding unique only to this corner of our country!
This beautiful coastal city has something for everyone, from pristine beaches and lush green parks to ancient temples and historical landmarks. One of the best ways to explore Thiruvananthapuram is by visiting its many wildlife sanctuaries. Visit a world of unparalleled biodiversity and experience the thrill of spotting majestic animals like elephants, tigers, leopards, and sloth bears. Embark on an exciting safari adventure across stunning landscapes by jeep or atop an elephant to explore this unique habitat! There are also several bird sanctuaries in the area, where you can see a variety of exotic birds up close.
7. A Guide to the Beaches, Rivers, and Lakes Around Kovalam.
Kovalam is a paradise in southern India, boasting stunning beaches and awe-inspiring rivers and lakes. With its lush greenery framed by stretches of golden sand, this idyllic town offers the perfect escape for travelers seeking some peace and tranquility.
The area around Kovalam is home to many different types of beaches, including secluded ones that are only accessible by boat. There are also several river mouths in the area that offer great views and opportunities for swimming and fishing. Lastly, there are several lakes located nearby that offer a peaceful atmosphere for picnicking or simply enjoying the scenery.
Conclusion: Exploring Thiruvananthapuram from Kovalam Beach is a great way to discover the beauty and culture of this historic city. Experience the vibrant culture and astonishing beauty of Thiruvananthapuram! From its golden sandy beaches, soaring temple spires, bustling bazaars and lively nightlife – no matter what you’re looking for in a holiday destination this Indian city has something to offer everyone. We hope that with our insider’s guide you now have some ideas of things to do on your next visit to this vibrant city!