Japan typhoon death toll rises to 66 as hopes of disappearing fade.

The death toll at the worst typhoon to hit Japan for decades climbed to 66 on Tuesday as rescuers slogged through debris and mud in an increasingly grim search for the lost, and since thousands of homes remained without power or water. Fifteen people remain missing almost 3 times after Typhoon Hagibis smashed into central and eastern Japan, the national radio station said.

Over 200 people were injured from the storm, whose name means speed & pace, from the Tagalog language. About 138, 000 families were without water whereas 24, 000 lacked electricity down on the hundreds of thousands initially left without power, but a cause of concern in the northern areas where temperatures are falling.

The maximum toll was in the Fukushima prefecture north of Tokyo, where levees burst in at least 14 places along the Abukuma River, which meanders through a number of towns in the agricultural prefecture. At least 25 people died in Fukushima, for example, a mother and kid who were captured in floodwaters, NHK said.

Another kid of the woman remains lost. Survivors described how the water rose quickly at chest height in about an hour and during the night, which makes it’s hard to escape to high ground. A number of the dead in Fukushima were elderly, NHK said. Residents in Koriyama, one of Fukushima’s larger towns, said they were taken by surprise by the flooding.

Authorities were searching house-to home to make sure nobody had been left behind or was in need of help.

“I checked the flood risk map however it did not have my place as being at risk, stated Yoshinagi Higuchi, 68, who lives about 100 meters from one levee and waited out the flood on the second floor of his home as the ground floor full of water”.

Residents have been warned by the public address systems which are a characteristic of Japanese towns and a few evacuated to a local school, he added as he and acquaintances piled sodden tatami straw mats along with other furniture on the street.

Around the country, producers took stock. Electronics manufacturer Panasonic Corp said flood had ruined its plant. Automakers Nissan, Honda, and Subaru stated there was no harm to their factories, while Toyota said its plants were operating. Prime Minister Shinzo Abe warned that the economic effect might be prolonged.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *